The Trango Towers are a group of dramatic granite spires located on the north side of theBaltoro Glacier, in Baltistan, a district of the Gilgit-Baltistan region of Pakistan (formerlyNorthern Areas). They are part of the Baltoro Muztagh, a subrange of the Karakoram range. The Towers offer some of the largest cliffs and most challenging rock climbing in the world. The highest point in the group is the summit of Great Trango Tower at 6,286 m (20,608 ft). The east face of the Great Trango Tower features the world’s greatest nearly vertical drop.
Gilgit city is one of the two major hubs for all mountaineering expeditions almost all tourists headed for treks in Karakoram or Himalaya ranges arrive at Gilgit first. Many tourists choose to travel Gilgit by air since the road travel between Islamabad and Gilgit by Karakoram Highway takes nearly 18 hours, whereas the air travel takes a mere 45-50 minutes. Gilgit Airport is located at a small ground very close to the center it takes 5 – 10 Minutes from Airport to any hotel in town.
Gilgit is just off the Karakoram Highway between Chilas and Karimabad, and most people arrive by road. The main bus stand is on the KKH – Karakoram Highway, and requires a taxi ride or shared jeep to reach from town. There are booking agents in town for long distance buses along the KKH. The journey from Islamabad can take as long as 24 hours.
The best season to visit is from May to mid October. The local dialect is Shina, however, Urdu and English are also spoken and understood.
Flights between Islamabad and Gilgit
Gilgit has an airport, providing daily flights to Islamabad, punctuated only by adverse weather conditions. Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flies 12 weekly flights between Gilgit and Islamabad and the flight is one of the most scenic flights of the world as its route passes over Nanga Parbat and the mountain’s peak is higher than the aircraft’s cruising altitude. These flights, however, are subject to the clearance of weather and in winters, flights are often delayed by several days
- Airport Type – Public
- Elevation – 4,781 ft (1,457 m)
- Length – 5,400 ft (Asphalt) 983 ft (Concrete)
- Phone Number – 92-572
- Coordinates – 35?55’07″N, 4?20’01″E
- Time Zone:
+5:00 hours from UTC/GMT
- Airport Code:
FlightStats code: GIL
IATA code: GIL
ICAO code: OPGT
Book online flights here:
- Park Hotel Gilgit.
- Madina Guest House, NLI Chowk. Popular with foreigners. Has a restaurant with seating area in a courtyard. Prices as of May 2009 are 150 Rs for a 6 bed dorm / 330 Rs for a double with shared bath / 450 Rs for a double w/private bath Rs 200-600.
- New Tourist Cottage Also popular with foreigners. Private doubles with bath are Rs 320. Rooms are large and well maintained. Also has outdoor seating areas.
- Gilgit Motel.
- Park hotel, Airport Road (on main road from Jutial to main market). Quite spacious with good quality food, and best located as antique shops are situated nearby
- Gilgit serena hotel