Qila Shaikhupura,constructed by the Mughal Emperor Jahangir. The name Sheikhupura is derived from a nickname of Jahangir, who was known as Sheikhu by his father Akbar the Great. The city is the headquarters of Sheikhupura District and is approximately 35 km from Lahore. The original name of Virkgarh was renamed by Jahangir.
The city was renamed Singhpuria in Sikh rule, and had a large Sikh population prior to Partition in 1947, Gurudwaras are seen throughout the city.
Sheikhupura, initially called Jahangirpura, later Sheikhupura after Jahangir’s nickname ‘Sheikhu’, was a hunting retreat for the emperor who came here frequently from Lahore to relax. Interestingly, Alexander the Great fought one of his fiercest battles in the vicinity of Sheikhupura around 100 BC