Kheer is a rice pudding, which is a traditional South Asiansweet dish. It is made by boiling rice or brokenwheat with milk and sugar, and flavored withcardamom, raisins,saffron, cashewnuts,pistachios or almonds. It is typically served during a meal or also consumed alone as a dessert.
- Milk 1 litre
- Rice, long grain 60 g
- Almonds 15 g
- Cardamom powder 5 g
- Clarified butter (ghee) 10 g
- Milk to dissolve saffron 30 ml
- Raisins 10 g
- Saffron a few strands
- Sugar 120 g
- Wash and soak rice for an hour. Blanch almonds.
- Remove the skin and cut into slivers.
- Dissolve the saffron in warm milk and keep aside.
- Boil milk in a pan.
- In another panheat the clarified butter, add rice and stir-cook for 4-5 minutes till it begins to brown lightly.
- Add the milk and bring to boil, stirring constantly to prevent rice from sticking.
- Reduce heat and simmer till rice is cooked.
- Stir in the sugar. Simmer till milk thickens.
- Stir in cardamom powder, raisins and almonds.
- To Serve, remove to a silver or white metal bowl.
- Sprinkle saffron and serve hot in winter and cold in summer.