Biryani, biriani, beryani or beriani is a set of rice-based foods made with spices, rice (usually basmati) and meat, fish, eggs or vegetables. The name is derived from the Persian word beryā(n) (بریان) which means “fried” or “roasted”.
The cooking method of Biryani originated in Iran (Persia) and it was brought to the Indian subcontinent by Iranian travelers and merchants. Local variants of this dish are popular not only in South Asia but also in Southeast Asia, Arabia, and within various South Asian communities in Western countries.
How to cook?
1. Make a mixture with tomato yoghurt, puree, green chilli paste, ginger garlic paste, red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala powder, coriander powder and salt.
2. Take the chicken and marinade it in the same mixture. Let it rest for 3-4 hours.
3. Put oil in a pan, heat it and fry onions till they turn golden brown.
4. Now, to this add the marinated chicken and cook the entire mixture for 10 mints.
5. After that in a pressure cooker, take the rice and add 3 1/2 cups of water to it. Also, take the saffron, mix with the milk and add to the rice.
6. Lastly, add the cardamom powder and the chicken pieces, along with the marinade.
7. Mix all the ingredients gently, cover with the cooker lid and pressure cook for 1 whistle.