Thandai is a cold drink prepared with a mixture of almonds, fennel seeds, magaztari seeds (watermelon kernel), rose petals, pepper, vetiver seeds, cardamom, saffron, milk andsugar. Could be easily found in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan – mostly in Peshawar.
21/2 cup Water
1 ltr Milk (Doodh)
2 tablespoon Fennel Seed (Saunf)
1/4th cup chopped Pistachio (Pista)
1/2 teaspoon Cardamom Seed (Elaichi)
4 whole Cloves (Lavang)
2/3rd cup Raisins (Kishmish)
1/4th cup Melon seeds, Sunflower seeds or Pine Nuts
1/2 cup blanched and chopped Almond (Badam)
1/4th teaspoon dry-roasted and powdered Saffron (Kesar) threads
- Bring the water to boil in a small saucepan.
- Add the fennel seeds, cardamom and cloves, cover, and remove from the heat.
- Set aside for ten minutes.
- Place the raisins, almonds, pistachios and melon seeds, sunflower seeds, or pine nuts in a bowl and add fennel tea.
- Cover and set aside for at least 1 hour.
- Transfer it to a blender, cover, and blend until the nuts & spices are reduced to a smooth texture.
- Pour into a strainer and set over a bowl.
- When some of liquid had drained through the sieve, gather the corners and squeeze tightly to extract the maximum liquid.
- Heat 2 tablespoon of milk and add saffron.
- Combine the nut milk, saffron milk and remaining milk in a large jug and chill well.
- Serve over a crushed ice.